Business Tax & Licensing
Bridgeport City Council passed an ordinance effective July 1, 2009 which changes the type of license required to do business in Bridgeport under the new ordinance. Any activity conducted for income is considered to be a business. In order to conduct business in the municipal limits of the City of Bridgeport, you must first contact the Tax & Licensing Division to obtain a Municipal Registration Certificate. There is a flat fee of $15.00 for all business activities with the exception of those requiring license with the State Alcoholic Beverage Commission. The term of the license begins on July 1st and ends on June 30th of each fiscal year and fees are not prorated. Business & Occupation Tax is paid on a quarterly basis and is calculated at the rate approved for each classification. Below is information necessary to obtain licensure within the State of West Virginia and the City of Bridgeport.
- All applicants must first have a valid West Virginia Business Registration prior to obtaining a license in the City. The State Tax Department headquarters is located in Charleston, WV and can be reached by phone at 304-558-3333 or toll free at 1-800-982-8297. There is also a regional office located at 153 West Main Street, Suite E in Clarksburg and may be reached at 304-627-2109.
- If you will occupy a physical location within the City of Bridgeport, a Building Occupancy Form is necessary to assure the location is approved for the particular activity being licensed. For license information, for period prior to July 1, 2009, please contact the Tax & Licensing Department.
All person(s) performing construction activities are required to obtain a Municipal Registration Certificate with the City of Bridgeport. The fee for this is $15.00 and the term of the registration begins on July 1st and ends June 30th of each fiscal year; fees are not prorated. Business and Occupation Tax is paid on a quarterly basis and is calculated at a rate of 2%.
In order to obtain a license for Contracting activity, all contractors and subcontractors are required to first obtain a West Virginia State Contractors' License. This license is awarded through the Contractor Licensing Board, B-749 Building 6, Capitol Complex, Charleston, WV 25305 and can be reached by phone at 304-558-7890.
Any person(s) who furnishes real property for lease or rent for any purpose is required to obtain a Municipal Registration Certificate in the City of Bridgeport. The fee for this is $15.00 and the term is July 1st and ends June 30th of each fiscal year; fees are not prorated. Business and Occupation Tax is paid on a year end basis and is calculated at a rate of .825%. West Virginia State Tax Department requires all rental owners to have a State License.
All of the above mentioned applications may be obtained by mail, fax or email. They may also be completed in person at the City's Municipal Complex located at 515 W. Main Street in Bridgeport. For payment we accept cash, checks and all major credit cards. If you have any questions, please contact the Tax & Licensing Department or by calling Becky at 304-842-8253 or Tonya at 304-842-8230.
Tax & License Forms
Tax Forms & Information:
- Business & Occupation Tax Return
- Tax Filing Rates & Schedule
- Hotel Motel Tax Return
- Public Utility - Excise Tax Return
- Contracting Requirements
(Important tax information for all Contractors within the City of Bridgeport)
- Contractor / Subcontractor Report Form
- General Contractor Cover Sheet
- Handyman Affidavit
- Please contact the Tax & Licensing Department for information on filing taxes after being approved for a tax credit.
- Tax Credit Packet
License Applications & Information:
- Municipal Registration Requirements
- Municipal Registration Certificate
- Building Occupancy & Zoning Information
(This form is to accompany all business that will maintain a physical location within the city limits of Bridgeport)
- Home Solicitation, Vendor & Peddler License
(This informational form is required in order to apply for an activity wherein there will be door to door solicitation of citizens)
|Rate per $100
|Retailers / Selling Property
|Electric Power Co. (Sales/Demand Chgs.)
|Electric Power Co. (Sales All Other)
|Natural Gas Companies
|Rental, Royalties or Fee
|Banking & Financial Institutions
|Service & All Other
|Aircraft Repair & Maintenance